Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Few Good Questions. .

Here are a couple great questions recently sent my way.

Why am I so concerned over folks selling fake or mislabeled Ellensburg Blue agate – and why don’t I simply expose these unscrupulous sellers?

Good questions. First, it’s simply frustrating for me to sit back and watch good people paying top dollar for near worthless and readily abundant agate. Many years ago, I too was one of those folks ripped off. While researching what was to eventually become a passion and hobby for me, I bough a few pieces of what was advertised as Ellensburg Blue – only to discover some time later and much to my embarrassment, that it wasn’t Ellensburg blue at all (I show some of this on my website (http://www.blueagates.com/) but was actually bluish agate worth only pennies!

The problem only perpetuates itself when buyers of “non” Ellensburg Blue attempt to sell their cut or rough inferior agate, refusing to believe or acknowledge the frustrating truth when it’s pointed out to them.

Then there are those flagrantly selling fakes – I’ve watched one of these sellers make several thousand dollars over the past months milking unsuspecting and trusting buyers.

Yes, it’s very very frustrating.

So, the second question, why don’t I just expose these scamming pieces of #8&# by name or auction? Simply, I don’t want or need the liability. I will hopefully save a few folks from being ripped of, thru education and a healthy dose of skepticism. THAT is why I occasional (and reluctantly) sell a small piece of blue every now and than, drawing people to my website and now (A bit less politically correct) blog.